May 9, 2011

Mother’s Day

If I had to pick one word to describe yesterday it would be “surprising.”

Kevin had practice early and left the house before I even made it out of the bedroom.  I emerged to a counter full of gifts…2 red roses, shorts and a shirt, a photo collage of the girls made by Kev’s sister, and the cutest butterfly magnet ever made by my kindergartener.  Kevin used to bring me flowers for holidays quite regularly and for him to do so again just melted my heart. Oh, and also I had a card and a note that said we had a sitter coming that night so Kevin and I could go to dinner together!

Lucy had been everything but patient waiting to give me the gift she made in school.  I thought she was going to bust on Friday, but she made it home with the bag and promptly hid it from me!  That girl is like her daddy in that once she has a gift ready to give, she wants to give it right then are there.  I’m proud of her for holding out.

The girls and I then headed off to church where they made even more things for Mother’s Day.  When I picked Laney up from her Sunday School class she handed me a card and said “Happy…..what day is it again mom?” And from that moment on, I bet she said “Happy Mother’s Day” a thousand more times. 

Kevin got home later that afternoon and off  we went to dinner.  When we pulled in the parking lot of Genghis Grill I said, “That looks like Mom and Dad’s car.”  Kevin had invited my parents to join us for dinner! Another surprise! 

The best part of the whole day was just sitting on the couch listening to my girls play with their daddy downstairs.  Their screams of laughter and constant giggles are reminders of what a wonderful life I have.  A husband who is still full of surprises and 2 little girls who showed me so much love throughout the day (without fighting) makes me very thankful that I get to be their wife and mother. 

No comments: