July 6, 2010

Check ups

I am one of those people where every time I plan out something in advance hoping it will work out to my advantage, it all ends up backfiring.

In December, I set up the girls' 2 and 5 year check ups with their doctor. It is so hard to get a well child visit in the summer, so I knew I had to do it early. I made it on a day when Kev's schedule said he was having a home game and I made it in the morning so we would have the first 2 appointments. Normally check ups aren't a big deal, but this time BOTH, as in Laney AND Lucy, had to get shots.

About 2 weeks before the appointment I realize that Kevin has a DAY GAME that day. Seriously, they play 2 home day games and it just happens to fall on the same day as the dreaded doctor appointments...only this can happen to me.

Thankfully, Nana came to the rescue (as usual) and went to the appointment with me. She stayed with one while I took the other. I have never before cried at my girls getting shots.

I cried. Tears streaming down my face. I felt so horrible for Lucy. My mom could hear her screaming in the waiting room. Three....3...shots in her arm. It was so sad because she KNEW what they were doing. When they are babies they are oblivious to what is going on, a quick prick and it's over. When they are bigger they KNOW.

Laney was a little better, but still made me sad. She got her 2 shots in her leg and I don't think that hurts as bad. We made the day better with a visit to the movie store, Walmart and McDonald's for lunch.

Here are their stats:
Laney: 2 years old, 27 lbs 2 oz, 34 inches. In six months, she has gained 3 pounds and grown 3 inches!!!

Lucy: 5 years old, 37 lbs 4 oz, 41 1/2 inches tall. In a year, she has gained 4 pounds and grown 3 inches!!

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Shots are no fun! At least they should be done for awhile now, right?!