September 26, 2008

Parents Just Don't Understand

Lucy is 3 going on 13. She talks to me as if she is a teenager, but only when Kevin is out of the house. She hates to do anything to disappoint him, so I guess she takes it all out on me. The other day at Walmart she threw a fit because I told her she couldn't have another coloring book. We got home and I asked her if she wanted to tell Daddy about her tantrum. She replied, "No Mom, I don't think Daddy would like to hear about it."

Fast forward to this afternoon. Kev was playing golf, I was trying to get her to take a nap. She was acting like a baby and I told her so.

With hands on her hips, tears in her eyes, she cried, "I AM 3 YEARS OLD. I AM NOT A BABY."

This went on and on. She is rudely telling me that she isn't tired, doesn't want to take a nap, etc. She storms away towards our bedroom, stops in the little hallway, stares me down and says,

"Mom, you just don't understand." I am sure that this is a phrase that I will hear hundreds, if not thousands more times.

At this point, I was having a hard time keeping my composure. Sure, I was mad at her attitude, but it was just too funny. She was so tired and I knew that was fueling the fire. Before she finally settled down she said,

"I'm running away." Again, I'm sure I'll hear this many more times as well.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I would have had to bite back my laughter, too. It seems early for her to be saying those things! =)