July 6, 2008

Bye Bye Bink???

Ever since this happened, Lucy has been down to her last bink.

The yellow bink.

Her night-night bink.

The bink that is falling apart. Seriously, it is barely in one piece.

In 3 years, I don't think we've ever managed to keep a bink as long as yellow bink. We kept telling her this was the last bink, when it was gone, there were no more. We didn't think it would make it past Christmas, and yet it is still present.

Tonight, things change.

On our way from swimming with friends, Lucy says "Mom, we need to stop at the store." I inquire as to why. Her response, "My bink is broken, I need another one." I go on to nicely tell her that the stores won't let her buy one because they aren't allowed to sell them to 3 year olds...they're too big. She dropped the subject.

Bedtime rolls around. I tell her to grab bink and blankie, our bedtime staples. She grabs blankie and informs me she doesn't want bink, it is broken.

Ummmm....ok. I put her to bed, ask her again if she wants bink, she answers no. Kiss her goodnight, leave her room.

No tears, no trying to come out. Just more talking to herself than normal, followed by the sweet silence of a child sleeping....without her beloved binkie.

Just another sign that my little baby is growing up.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Aww, how sweet!

Lewis Family said...

Oh goodness, I hope Cade gives up his bink that easily. I guess the old saying "Dont sweat the small stuff" really paid off in this case. Good for Lucy, in my opinion, that is a huge milestone.

The Daniel Family said...

Just like potty training, those kiddos just kinda decide when to do those things...huh? Hope all is well! Miss you!