June 27, 2008

Happy 3rd Birthday Lucy!

Three years ago at this time, I was in the hospital giving birth to Lucy and Kevin was on an airplane! I love the story of that day. I started having contractions early that morning, called the doctor, she told me to go ahead and get Kevin home. He was in Toledo playing at the time. I called the airline, got his ticket changed, and went to my scheduled doctor's appointment. Doc told me "Oh, he gets in at 5. Plenty of time. I probably won't see you until later this evening."

WHATEVER. Lucy had a different agenda.

Mom drove me to the hospital around noon, I was talking to Kev on the phone...telling him to hang on between contractions. He was getting ready to fly out of Detroit.

Fast forward a couple of hours. Kev lands in Chicago. He has about a 30 minute layover; his flight scheduled to take off at 1:50 eastern time. It is around 2:15 here in Kansas. Doctor comes in, I start pushing. She asks when Kev's flights departs. I tell her, she gives me the look of I really don't think this baby is coming before that.

Keep in mind, this is the same doctor (who I loved) that said I wouldn't have a baby until later that evening.

I knew I had to have Lucy before Kevin's plane took off. Could you imagine being on a 2 hour flight knowing your child had been born and that is it?

He boarded. Still on the phone.

Plane pushed back. Still on the phone.

Taxing down the runway. Still on phone.

Lucy was born at 2:44 p.m. He heard her first cry, knew that we were both OK, then the plane took off.

3 years ago. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I can't believe all the changes we've seen Lucy go through. I was sad she went from a newborn to a baby, from a baby to a toddler. Now she isn't even a toddler anymore. My baby is a little girl.

Happy Birthday Lucy! We love you!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Happy Birthday, Lucy!!

Hey, Becky and I are going to Missy's new house Sat morning around 9ish...want to go with us?

Lewis Family said...

Happy Birthday Lucy!! I am glad Colby and I got to share in celebrating her 1st birthday in Toledo when she was just learnig how to walk!!!

The Daniel Family said...

Our little Lucy is getting big!!! Hope all is well in the Hooper house and Baby Laney is being good. Claire can talk of nothing else!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday lucy!
love logan